Thursday, August 11, 2011

Surrender

Since I was 11 years old, I have been very self-conscious about my weight, causing me to develop strange and unhealthy behaviors concerning diet and exercise. My most recent struggle has been with my infamous habit of eating in the middle of the night and portion control. I find that when I lack self-discipline, which in this case means eating more than I should and at times when I shouldn't, all of my thoughts become self-centered and I am no no longer focused on serving God or others.

When I walked into church this past Sunday, an immediate sense of surrender came over me and I was reminded of Mark 8:35 which states, “For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it." And I thought, "Yes, I am sick of doing things my way and failing every time. I am ready to lose my life so that I can find the one God has created for me!" I thought it odd for that scripture to come to mind since it had been so long since I last read or heard it. But of course, with God nothing is by chance. The message for that particular service was based on Mark 8:35! I know now that God was speaking to me that morning. And when he speaks, I do my very best to listen and adjust my life accordingly. For the past 4 days, my portions have been significantly smaller and the past 3 nights have been snack free!   


“...Blessed are you...for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven."   Matthew 16:17

God is so good. I love the way he works to confirm that we have indeed heard his voice.



***Have you ever found yourself in a place where every part of your life is great but that one habit or guilty pleasure has you feeling like you've lost complete control? If you can relate and feel like sharing, I'd love to know from where you draw your strength. Feel free to leave a comment or email me at cookinholy@gmail.com***


With Hope & Blessings,
Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment